James 2 (ESV)The Sin of Partiality
2 My brothers,[a] show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[b] is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.
More From this Series
- 01/28/18 - The Wisdom of Witnessing - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 02/04/18 - The Mother of All Who Believe - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 02/11/18 - The Faith of Hezekiah - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 02/18/18 - Transitional Truths - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 02/25/18 - Detours - Pastor Peter Tepper
- 03/04/18 - What God Has Done - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 03/11/18 - The Meaning Of Psalms - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 03/18/18 - Committed To The Church - Pastor Anthony Alonso
- 03/25/18 - Your Towel - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 04/01/18 - Born Again To A Living Hope - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 04/08/18 - The Upper Room Discourse - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 04/15/18 - Start A Revival - Pastor John Couch
- 04/29/18 - How Jesus Runs The Church - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 05/06/18 - The Making of a Disciple - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 05/13/18 - Mommy Goggles - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 05/27/18 - How to Have a Faith That Works - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 06/03/18 - Spies Like Us - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 06/10/18 - What Am I Filled With? - Pastor Jon Couch
- 06/17/18 - Baptism: What Is It Good for? - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 06/24/18 - AMPED The Kingdom's Kids - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 07/01/18 - In God We Trust - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 07/08/18 - Who Are You Walking With - Pastor Jon Couch
- 07/15/18 - Loving Leah - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 07/22/18 - A Faith That Works - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 07/29/18 - Pure At Heart - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 08/05/18 - The Road Of Honesty - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr
- 08/12/18 - Look Up to Wise Up - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 08/19/18 - The Sin of Partiality - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 08/26/18 - Rejoice in the written Word of God that gives us Life - Pastor Jon Couch
- 09/02/18 - Experiencing God as a Nurturing Parent - Reverend Woody Johnson
- 09/09/18 - New Birth - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 09/23/18 - Righteousness: A Story of A Pharisee & A Tax Collector - Pastor Robert Olszewski
- 10/7/18 - 2 Chron. 16:1-13 - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 10/14/18 - The Epistle of James: How to Have a Faith that Works - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 10/21/18 - B.A.S.I.C.- Brothers and Sisters in Christ - Pastor Robert Olszewski
- 10/28/18 - Why Are We Here Today? - Pastor Don Mason
- 12/2/18 - Gift of Family - Pastor Robert Olszewski
- Heart for the Harvest
- Fruitfulness On The Frontline
- Missing the Point
- Life on the Frontline
- Psalms: Emotions Before God
- Work Matters
- Behold the Beauty of Christ
- Everyday Parables for Everyday Life
- Not Ashamed
- The Gifts of Christmas
- View All