15 Then Laban said to Jacob, “Because you are my kinsman, should you therefore serve me for nothing? Tell me, what shall your wages be?” 16 Now Laban had two daughters. The name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. 17 Leah's eyes were weak, but Rachel was beautiful in form and appearance. 18 Jacob loved Rachel. And he said, “I will serve you seven years for your younger daughter Rachel.” 19 Laban said, “It is better that I give her to you than that I should give her to any other man; stay with me.” 20 So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few days because of the love he had for her.
21 Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife that I may go in to her, for my time is completed.” 22 So Laban gathered together all the people of the place and made a feast. 23 But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her. 24 (Laban gave his female servant Zilpah to his daughter Leah to be her servant.) 25 And in the morning, behold, it was Leah! And Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Did I not serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?” 26 Laban said, “It is not so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn. 27 Complete the week of this one, and we will give you the other also in return for serving me another seven years.”28 Jacob did so, and completed her week. Then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife. 29 (Laban gave his female servant Bilhah to his daughter Rachel to be her servant.) 30 So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served Laban for another seven years.
31 When the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. 32 And Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben, for she said, “Because the Lord has looked upon my affliction; for now my husband will love me.” 33 She conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Because the Lord has heard that I am hated, he has given me this son also.” And she called his name Simeon. 34 Again she conceived and bore a son, and said, “Now this time my husband will be attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore his name was called Levi. 35 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “This time I will praise the Lord.” Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she ceased bearing.
We must Remember God Loves The Downtrodden
V31 - When the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
We Must Realize Real Beauty Is internal
V32 – Reubin – see, a son
V33 – Simeon – heard
V34 – Levi – attached
V35 – Judah - praise
1 Samuel 16:7b
man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.
We must know God’s Plans Are Always Perfect
Genesis 29:25 - And in the morning, behold, it was Leah! And Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Did I not serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?”
though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.
More From this Series
- 01/28/18 - The Wisdom of Witnessing - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 02/04/18 - The Mother of All Who Believe - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 02/11/18 - The Faith of Hezekiah - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 02/18/18 - Transitional Truths - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 02/25/18 - Detours - Pastor Peter Tepper
- 03/04/18 - What God Has Done - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 03/11/18 - The Meaning Of Psalms - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 03/18/18 - Committed To The Church - Pastor Anthony Alonso
- 03/25/18 - Your Towel - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 04/01/18 - Born Again To A Living Hope - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 04/08/18 - The Upper Room Discourse - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 04/15/18 - Start A Revival - Pastor John Couch
- 04/29/18 - How Jesus Runs The Church - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 05/06/18 - The Making of a Disciple - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 05/13/18 - Mommy Goggles - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 05/27/18 - How to Have a Faith That Works - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 06/03/18 - Spies Like Us - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 06/10/18 - What Am I Filled With? - Pastor Jon Couch
- 06/17/18 - Baptism: What Is It Good for? - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 06/24/18 - AMPED The Kingdom's Kids - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 07/01/18 - In God We Trust - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr.
- 07/08/18 - Who Are You Walking With - Pastor Jon Couch
- 07/15/18 - Loving Leah - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 07/22/18 - A Faith That Works - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 07/29/18 - Pure At Heart - Pastor Dan Middlebrooks
- 08/05/18 - The Road Of Honesty - Reverend W.W. Johnson, Jr
- 08/12/18 - Look Up to Wise Up - Reverend Mike Glodo
- 08/19/18 - The Sin of Partiality - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 08/26/18 - Rejoice in the written Word of God that gives us Life - Pastor Jon Couch
- 09/02/18 - Experiencing God as a Nurturing Parent - Reverend Woody Johnson
- 09/09/18 - New Birth - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 09/23/18 - Righteousness: A Story of A Pharisee & A Tax Collector - Pastor Robert Olszewski
- 10/7/18 - 2 Chron. 16:1-13 - Pastor Dave Franklin
- 10/14/18 - The Epistle of James: How to Have a Faith that Works - Pastor Ed Diaz
- 10/21/18 - B.A.S.I.C.- Brothers and Sisters in Christ - Pastor Robert Olszewski
- 10/28/18 - Why Are We Here Today? - Pastor Don Mason
- 12/2/18 - Gift of Family - Pastor Robert Olszewski
- Heart for the Harvest
- Fruitfulness On The Frontline
- Missing the Point
- Life on the Frontline
- Psalms: Emotions Before God
- Work Matters
- Behold the Beauty of Christ
- Everyday Parables for Everyday Life
- Not Ashamed
- The Gifts of Christmas
- View All